Tuesday nights are our my freshman small group Bible study. The time has grown from and original gang of four Bereans--Cavin, Rudy, Andrew, and Ben--to our current group of 7-8 young men. This semester, Jordan, Chris, Charles, and Austin have all told me they plan to come each week.
My goal for this time is two-fold.
First, I want these guys to get excited about the Scriptures. The study we are doing, an inductive study of Romans, is designed to be deep and thorough. If the guys put some good effort into it, it can really take off and become exciting.
Second, I want them to grow deeply in their friendship with each other. I was struck this morning when I read Hebrews 3:13--Encourage one another daily, as long as it is called today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. These guys were meant to help each other, to build each other up, and to guard and protect each other. That is the kind of environment I want to see flourish.
Pray:
1. That the Spirit would speak through the Word, both as these guys prepare, and as we discuss.
2. That these guys would get a heart for defending and encouraging each other.
3. That both of these things wouldn't stop after Tuesday night, but would grow deeply into their lives.