Tuesday, February 10, 2009

February 12th, 2009

Austin has somewhat of a remarkable story. His mother was a San Diego Chargers cheerleader and his dad is a wealthy chiropractor turned real estate developer. They divorced when he was little. In high school, in the midst of a complete spiritual vacuum, Austin was invited to a Young Life retreat by his girlfriend, and he gave his life to Christ.

But now he is in college, and although he is excited about Jesus, he has no background in the church, and very little concept of what it looks like to be a follower of Christ. When we first got together, I asked him what his relationship with the Bible looked like. He said he doesn't really understand why he should read it, since he already knows the story, and if he has to make a moral decision, he has a conscience he can follow.

But it wasn't that he was unteachable...he just genuinely was mystified. So when we sat down together and read Psalm 1 together, I could see the lights click on. When I explained to him that a Christian who is in the Word is a Christian who is fruitful, his first response was, "Well, then I want to read the Bible everyday. Where should I start?"

1. Pray that Austin will be fed through the Word and grow into fruitfulness.

2. Pray that Austin will see the need for fellowship. He is not too involved in the Navigators beyond the time when we meet together.

3. Pray that Austin will have an opportunity to reach his family with the gospel.