Tuesday, July 14, 2009

July 14th, 2009

The trip to Russia is over. I am grateful for the many ways that God used this trip to change me, the team, and the lives of the Russian students we interacted with. I have never been on a trip like this before.

I wrote at the half point of our trip about seeing our team leader suffer a heart attack and nearly die. We were all in the room while it happened. I helped to call the person who drove him to the hospital.

God is sovereign over all things. It was not surprising to him that Mike would have a heart attack at that moment, or that leadership of the whole trip would be suddenly thrust upon me. Consequently, in the difficult days and weeks that followed, he was faithful to give me and the team the emotional strength and physical support we needed to continue onward. I am so grateful for your prayers! I know that God responded to them to give me the encouragement and strength I needed.

Mike is currently in recovery in Berlin. He is doing well, although it will likely be a while before he is strong enough to be back on campus.

Here are things to praise God for:

1. His mercy towards Mike in sparing his life.

2. His mercy towards our team in bringing us through the trip.

3. The opportunity to share the gospel with about 15 Russian students, many who heard it for the first time.

4. The open hearts we encountered. I am confident that the missionaries we worked with will reap the fruit of our four weeks in Russia.

Prayer request:

1. My funding! I have one month to raise over 30% of my budget.

2. For good processing of the lessons I learned during the trip.